Engineered wood products
Meet any architectural challenge with our engineered sheathing, stud, beam, floor joist, wall and truss products. We partner with leading suppliers to tackle the toughest and creative applications. Preston Feather offers a complete line of structural composite lumber materials including Laminated veneer (LVL), laminated strand (LSL), glued-laminated (Glulam) and many others. Engineered wood products advantages include:
- Because engineered wood is man-made, it can be designed to meet application-specific performance requirements.
- Engineered wood products are versatile and available in a wide variety of thicknesses, sizes, grades, and exposure durability classifications, making the products ideal for use in unlimited construction, industrial and home project application.
- Engineered wood products are designed and manufactured to maximize the natural strength and stiffness characteristics of wood. The products are very stable and some offer greater structural strength than typical wood building materials.
- Glued laminated timber (glulam) has greater strength and stiffness than comparable dimensional lumber and, pound for pound, is stronger than steel. Glulam products are also a better environmental choice than steel because they have less embodied energy.
- Some engineered wood products offer more design options without sacrificing structural requirements.
- Engineered wood panels are easy to work with using ordinary tools and basic skills. They can be cut, drilled, routed, jointed, glued, and fastened. Plywood can be bent to form curved surfaces without loss of strength. And large panel size speeds construction by reducing the number of pieces to be handled and installed.
- Engineered wood products provide the natural warmth and beauty of wood. Many products are available in a variety of surface textures and treatments for nearly every aesthetic taste, from rustic to elegant. The products can be easily and beautifully finished with paints, stains, and varnishes.
- Engineered wood products make more efficient use of wood. They can be made from small pieces of wood, wood that has defects or underutilized species.
- Wooden trusses are competitive in many roof and floor applications, and their high strength-to-weight ratios permit long spans offering flexibility in floor layouts.
- Sustainable design advocates recommend using engineered wood, which can be produced from relatively small trees, rather than large pieces of solid dimensional lumber, which requires cutting a large tree.
FLOOR AND ROOF SYSTEMS
I-Joist floor systems
Floor truss systems
Roof truss systems
I-Joist roof systems
Pre-built wall panels
BEAMS, HEADERS, AND COLUMNS
LVL / LSL beams, headers, columns, studs
Tall Wall engineering
Architectural grade doug-fir Glu-Lam beams
Laminated arch beams, radius headers
Laminated T&G decking
Treated Glu-Lam beams, treated columns
Insulated express headers
Simpson engineered products
USP metal products
AWWF wood foundation materials
Boman-Kemp, Bilco escape wells